Staff Accountant – Lead, Learn, Earn what You Deserve with our Award Winning Team
Are you ready to maximize your potential, and your salary?
Put your impressive skills to work, and have fun doing it – growing business, customer relationships and a talented team of professionals?
If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, Southern Botanical is waiting for you!
Who We Are
For more than two decades, “SOBO” has built a reputation for creativity, quality and integrity throughout North Texas and beyond. Behind every signature landscape, you’ll find our total dedication to client satisfaction and the people who help achieve it. We’ve experienced explosive growth as a result, and enjoy sharing that success with the ones who bring us.
Who You Are
A versatile talented finance individual. You thrive on organization and attention to detail, able to manage multiple projects with ease. As an experienced leader, you know how to deliver on time and on budget, and inspire others through example.
Opportunities and Benefits
Why Go with SOBO
Ready to make a change for the best?
Responsible for day-to-day accounts payable processing, including the entry and scanning of vendor invoices into ViewPoint financial software. Ensures accuracy of vendor invoices and timely payments according to company policies and procedures.
Positions reporting to this position
No Direct reports
Duties and Responsibilities
• Processes vendor invoices into ViewPoint daily
• Works closely with Purchasing Department to ensure all purchase orders are completed and accurate for invoice entry
• Completes monthly accounts payable statement reconciliation
• Manages all sub-contractor vendor set ups and ensures current certificate of insurance is on file and updated within ViewPoint prior to expiration period
• Scans accounts payable invoices into Approver Groups within ViewPoint and manages timely processing of such invoices
• Follows up and ensure all invoice issues are resolved accurately and timely
• Performs other incidental and related duties as required
• Provides customer service and support to internal customers and vendors with respect to various account payable and general inquiries
At least one year of college-level course work
Valid state driver’s license
Two to three years of equivalent work experience
Applicable Skills for Job
* Skill level: Entry-level (E), Intermediate (I), Advanced (A)
• Detail Oriented / Organized – A
• Accounts Payable Knowledge – A
• Results Oriented – A
• Microsoft Office – I
• Financial Acuity – I
• Data Entry – A
• Team Player – A
• Communication (External/Internal) – A
• Follow up & resolution of issues – A
• Coaching – E
• Team Building – E
• Leadership – E
Special Skills Required
Working knowledge of accounting financial principles specifically pertaining to accounts payable; proficient with spreadsheet and word processing applications; good interpersonal, team building, and organizational skills; strong oral and written communication skills; working knowledge of ViewPoint financial software (a plus, but not required); ten-key proficiency; ability to handle multiple tasks at once.
Normal office activity, no demanding physical activity. Must be able to operate a computer in the applicable environment, communicate efficiently and effectively on the telephone, via electronic mail or in person, and complete required paperwork
Standard indoor office environment
Position Interacts With
Company management and staff, clients, vendors and subcontractors
The IT analyst employs modeling, information engineering and cost-based accounting to develop a system that satisfies both management and end-users in the most cost-effective and efficient way possible. Upon approval, the IT analyst oversees its implementation to ensure the design is properly executed in a timely manner and stays within budget. The IT analyst also debugs the system and ensures that it is error-free.
An IT analyst must combine strong analytical skills and problem-solving abilities with project management skills. Excellent interpersonal skills are crucial to reconciling needs of management,
technical personnel and end-users. An IT Analyst must also be aware of the latest technology and how best to leverage its capabilities for an organization.
Specific Technical Skills
MS SQL Server, Crystal Reports, Complex SQL Stored Procedures, SQL Notifier, MS Access Designer, MS Office Developer Suite, MS Excel, MS Word, MS Office, SSRS, MS Azure, Microsoft Remote Desktop Connectivity, ThinPrint, MS DOS, Windows (3.1, 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10), VB.NET, Visual Basic
Viewpoint Construction Software ERP, Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus Suite with Visio, Project, PowerBI, and SharePoint, Cosential CRM, AnterraBI, Keystyle Employee Portal, Microsoft Azure Client Portal, Global Server Excel Add-on
Job Specification of IT Analyst
The Director of Landscape Construction (DLC) has ultimate management responsibility for this profit center producing $16M in revenue. The DLC reports to the Chief Operations Officer and is responsible for developing a management team to carry out the responsibilities and objectives of the department including designers, business developers, estimators, project managers, project engineers, project superintendents, contract administrators, front line, etc. The DLC must be thoroughly familiar with all aspects of landscape construction operations including: customer service, accounting, budgeting, strategic planning, business development, estimating, information technology (IT), production, human resources, finance and administration. The DLC must display the leadership capability to manage his/her team on a daily basis while creating a professional and pleasant company atmosphere. The DLC must coexist with other department/branch managers requiring sharing of resources and facilities.
Skill set and educational requirements:
• Displays mature leadership qualities and is a high-performance individual capable of building and maintaining a high-performance team.
• Displays an understanding of the business systems necessary to run the department.
• Places a high value on the free enterprise system and entrepreneurism in general.
• Minimum of five years’ experience in the Construction Industry.
• Bachelor’s degree preferably in construction management, business administration or within the Green Industry.
• Possesses a valid driver’s license and must be insurable on company’s insurance policy.
• Proficient in both oral and written communications.
• Demonstrates complete belief in the Southern Botanical values
• Proficient in MS Word, MS Excel, budgeting, general information technology (IT) use, Quick Books, and/or accounting system.
• Proficient in typing and capable of typing 40 WPM with fewer than three mistakes.
• Able to build a high-performance internal company team that requires minimal supervision, while maintaining a professional atmosphere of cooperation and professionalism.
• Able to build and effectively network with an external company team to include: Contractors, Subcontractors, CPAs, attorneys, bankers, consultants, peers, professional associations, educators, etc.
• Able to assess investment risks from a cost-benefit analysis perspective.
• Able to analyze business threats and opportunities and take appropriate action.
• Thoroughly understands, implements, and ensures compliance with company policies, procedures, and standard operating procedures (SOPs).
• Oversees the development and implementation of the landscape construction department’s:
• Strategic plan
• Annual operating budget
• Annual capital budget
• New business development plan
• Training goals
• Oversees all facets of the business including design, sales, estimating, production, scheduling, procurement, billing, contract administration and accounts receivable.
• Ensures department SOPs are kept current, accurate and relevant.
• Ensures that pre-job meetings, completed job cost reports and job close-out meetings are completed on time and include all of the appropriate personnel.
• Ensures the research, evaluation, and implementation of departmental IT systems/software.
• Ensures department coordinates with CPA to prepare financials and WIP schedule at year end.
• Ensures the review and renewal of company bonding policies annually.
• Hires, fires, trains, evaluates, supervises and motivates all staff under his/her supervision.
Salary, bonus and/or commissions:
Salary, bonuses and profit sharing will be commensurate to experience.
The primary appraisal criteria for the DLC is to achieve the annual budget and business development goals of the department while maintaining a professional, ethical, and safe corporate atmosphere.
The hidden job description:
A. What should this person enjoy doing to be successful in this job?
• Creating wealth for company and value for clients.
• Building an internal company team.
• Networking with an external company team.
• Networking in general.
• Building/implementing business systems.
• Look for areas that require improvement, provide solutions and implement change.
B. What personal qualities are necessary for this job?
• Positive outlook and disposition.
• Able to delegate effectively.
• Consistent behavior.
• Customer-service oriented.
• Strong work ethic and multi-tasker.
• Persistence and perseverance.
• Encourages and supports staff.
• Strategic and holistic thinker.
• Strong problem solving skills
• Willingness to engage in tough negotiations and take conflict head on.
C. What type of behavior will suit this job?
• Action oriented.
D. Who are the difficult people this individual will have to communicate with?
• Just about everyone: President, Controller, Managers, Clients, general contractors, subcontractors
E. What kind of work should a person thrive on in order to be happy doing this particular job?
• Imperfect and incomplete data from which to make business decisions.
• The surprises in behavior (both good and bad) that staff, customers, and others display.
F. If you had to describe the person who could best fill this job, how would you do so?
• See chapter 2, “Level 5 Leadership,” in Jim Collin’s book, Good to Great, pp. 17–40.
• Has to love working with and coaching people while facing challenges and solving problems.
• Has to love being part of a team of professionals and building a company that is respected in the community.
8. Individual profile:
• A self-starter.
• Understands the need to ascertain threats and opportunities.
• Action- and results-oriented.
• Active vs. static thinker.
• Excels at coaching, supporting, and encouraging a team.
• Excels at managing.
• Able to assess facts, evaluate possible solutions and make prompt decisions
9. Professional attitude:
• Customer-service oriented.
• Enjoys helping others.
• Displays a positive, “can-do” demeanor.
• Encourages, assists, and supports fellow staff members.
• Requires minimal supervision.
• Desires to grow professionally and seeks to improve personal skill set.
• Understands the value of technology and embraces it.
• Seeks out other professionals with whom to network.
• Is punctual and energetic.
• Accepts and appreciates correctional input/feedback from fellow staff members and BOD.
• Enjoys working with and contributing to a team.
• Maintains high professional standards for neatness, discipline, self-control, and organization.
Summary /Objective: This is a hands-on role where knowledge of accounting standards, conventions and principles is a must. Must have good mathematical and data analysis skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment where priorities continually shift.
Required Education and Experience
Assists the Branch Manager and is responsible for all branch administrative duties. Must provide timely and accurate reporting, data entry, and billing to ensure branch progress to goals is tracked accurately.
The Branch Administrator reports to the Branch Manager.
Skill set and educational requirements:
A. Five years of experience in landscape or similar field preferred.
B. Have a bachelor’s degree (preferably in Business) or an Associate’s Degree in Business with minimum of 1 year experience.
C. Have a clean criminal record.
D. Possesses excellent computer skills.
E. Proficient in or able to learn customer relationship management (CRM) software.
F. Able to read and assess statistical and operational report.
G. Have good interpersonal Skills.
H. Proficient in both oral and written communication.
I. Able to represent the company in a courteous and professional manner.
A. Accurate Time Entry into company software for payroll
B. Processing of new hire and termination documentation
C. Maintaining Schedule for personal and vacation time for branch employees
D. Accurately invoicing all reoccurring and one time services for branch
E. Generating reports to aid Branch Manager as needed
F. Aiding Branch manager in completing tasks to meet deadlines
G. Assists Branch Manager in tracking progress on branch budgets
H. Performs other incidental and related duties as required.
Salary, bonus, and/or commissions:
Commensurate with experience
Laborer: 1 year
Irrigation Technician will assist with the day-to-day installation of irrigation and drainage systems in a more advanced capacity. Is able to identify pipe and fitting types and sizes accurately, able to properly solvent weld PVC pipe and fittings, able to independently execute advanced excavations with the proper tool, and able to identify and effectively use various different hand tools commonly encountered on the jobsite.
Core Competencies (not exhaustive):
Must be able to lift/carry materials up to 50lbs. Exposure to dust, pollen, chemicals, cold and heat in an external environment. Requires extended periods of walking, standing, kneeling, bending and lifting, up to 100% of a workday.
External environment with all weather and terrain exposure. Exposed to equipment that may cause cuts and significant bodily injury. Safety equipment includes hard hat, safety vest, gloves, work boots, company uniform, earplugs and safety glasses
Required license or certification:
Responsible for managing specific accounts as it relates to client experience, profitability, production, and maintenance.
The Interiors Plant Technician reports to the Branch Manager.
Skill set and educational requirements:
The Interiors Plant Technician must possess the following skill set and educational background:
• Some horticultural knowledge is preferred.
• Strong communication skills.
• Ability to learn plant names, proper plant care techniques and disease identification and treatments
• Be self-motivated.
• Be detail oriented.
• Have a clean criminal record.
• Have good interpersonal Skills.
• Proficient in both oral and written communication.
• Able to represent the company in a courteous and professional manner.
• Able to climb stairs and sometimes ladders, reaching, walking, crouching, pushing, pulling and lifting.
• Provide plant maintenance including plant basics, plant watering, pesticides, managing plants, managing people, managing plants environment, and diagnosis of plant problems.
• Takes proper care of tools and equipment.
• Loads and secures materials in vehicles.
• Learns proper planting and transplanting techniques and follows them under minimal supervision.
• Handles, places and installs interior plants.
• Maintains the most efficient route to every account and changes as necessary.
• Efficiently maintains every account in the specific man hours allotted.
• Performs other incidental and related duties as required.
The Landscape Construction Superintendent must be thoroughly familiar with and able to perform all aspects of landscape, hardscape, and irrigation construction to include: production, scheduling, customer service, training, etc. Directly oversees Crew Leaders and the installation of landscape, hardscape, and irrigation projects on a daily basis while interfacing with clients, subcontractors, and suppliers. Must keep the Branch Manager apprised of progress on all jobs while coordinating with the Project Manager.
Landscape Construction Branch Manager
Must possess the following skill set and educational background:
A. Minimum of three years of experience in landscape, hardscape, and irrigation construction.
B. Prefer at minimum a two year degree in a construction or landscape related field
C. Able to supervise a minimum of three crews/projects simultaneously.
D. Able to effectively train field crew members.
H. Possess excellent computer skills including but not limited to outlook
E. Proficient in both oral and written communications.
F. Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred.
G. Able to represent the company in a courteous and professional manner.
H. Able to read plans, specifications and understand general to advanced structural requirements of concrete & masonry installations.
I. Advanced knowledge of typical landscape construction tools. Transits, laser levels, Skid Loader, Mini Skid Loader, Mini & Full Size Excavator and so forth.
A. Continually informs and updates the Branch Manager and Project Managers as to job progress.
B. Continually coordinates with company Crew Leaders and Project Managers as to job progress.
C. Oversees the production of 3 or more jobs simultaneously.
D. Ensures that jobs are kept on schedule and on budget.
E. Ensures that all safety procedures are followed and reports any unsafe conditions to supervisors.
F. Looks for extras and converts them into change orders when appropriate.
G. Interfaces with subcontractors to ensure is performed timely and per plans and specifications. If plans and specifications are not available Super is responsible for making sure best practices are used based on SoBo Standard Operating Procedures.
H. Interfaces with suppliers to ensure timely and accurate delivery of job materials.
I. Ensures that company production standards are met or exceeded by utilizing equipment.
J. Ensures that vendor delivery tickets and all paperwork are processed and turned in daily.
K. Ensures that job cost reports are properly analyzed and disseminated to Crew Leaders.
L. Evaluates performance of Crew Leaders and crew members.
M. Able to read and install all plans.
N. Receives and reviews all job daily field reports for accuracy and thoroughness and forwards to Accounting Department.
The primary appraisal criteria is to simultaneously supervise up to three crews and to do so safely and profitably while keeping the Branch Manager apprised regarding the status of all on-going projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Directs production, quality control and service for assigned accounts. Expected to maintain one hundred percent renewal of all managed accounts and increase sales on existing accounts equal to 20% of contracted yearly service. Additional sales include but are not limited to landscape installation, seasonal color installation, irrigation repairs, chemical applications, aeration, rye grass installation and additional maintenance visits.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Visits worksites and meets regularly with clients, keeping them updated and ensuring complete customer satisfaction and adherence to contract.
• Oversees and directs all quality concerns and address what needs improvement for accounts, coordinating with productions managers for execution.
• Responsible for communication and execution of client requests and horticulture needs for the property.
• Makes landscape appearance improvement recommendations and proposals for assigned accounts proactively and at client request.
• Reviews related account invoices (subcontractors, vendors, etc.) to ensure accuracy
• Responsible for account success for quality of service, client satisfaction and profitability goals.
• Performs other incidental and related duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture (preferred), Agronomy, or related fields of study, Agronomy or related fields with minimum of 2 years experience in landscape management operations
Valid state driver’s license.
Two years related account management experience with at least one year proven supervisory experience
Applicable Skills for Job:
• Tool Care
• Results Oriented
• Safety Minded
• Team Player
• Team Building
• Hand Tool Use
• Irrigation Practices
• Power Tool Use
• Fertilizer Practices
• Horticultural Practices
• Pesticide Practices
• Company Vehicle Use
• Maintenance Practices
Special Skills Required:
Thorough knowledge of irrigation, plants, insects and plant disease; familiarity with tools and equipment used; proficient with spreadsheet and word processing applications; ability to read and assess statistical and operational reports; good interpersonal, team building, organizational and management skills
Must be able to lift/carry materials up to 50lbs, move about the work site, turn on and operate a computer in the applicable environment, communicate efficiently and effectively on the telephone or in person, and complete required paperwork. Exposed to dust, pollen, chemicals, cold and heat in an external environment. Requires extended periods of walking, standing, kneeling, bending and lifting, up to 100% of a workday. Travel to the field required, more than 50% of time.
External environment with all weather and terrain exposure. Exposed to equipment that may cause cuts and significant bodily injury. Safety equipment includes gloves, work boots, company uniform, earplugs and safety glasses
Position Interacts With:
Company management, team members, clients, vendors, and subcontractors
This position promotes to Operations Manager or other applicable roles within Company